Wednesday, April 11, 2012

PRIME PRIMA

.
It hardly seems possible, but yesterday was the 16th anniversary of my Pa’s death. As I always do on his birthday and his freedomday, I played some of the songs ‘n’ singers my Pa loved the most.
.
Naturally there was some Roger Miller and some Nat King Cole. I’ve told you before how my Pa used to wake his kids (there were three of us) for school by suddenly blasting the song ‘You Can’t Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd’. (Does that qualify as “child abuse”?)

Another song that was being regularly played in the McCarthy household even before my birth was Louis Prima’s ‘There’ll Be No Next Time’, and doggone it, had I known it could be found at YouTube I would have posted it here yesterday!

This song still cracks me up. Thanks, Pa. 
(Enjoy, Sheboyganboy!)

There'll Be No Next Time



One of my many fine memories is of my Pa and I going to see Keely Smith and Sam Butera perform at the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas; this was about a decade or more after Louis Prima had passed away. But here they are in their prime-a, with Keely doing her weird, disinterested shtick – classic Louis, Keely, and Sam:

Louis Prima Just a Gigolo & I Ain't Go Nobody



Mo’ classic Louis, Keely, Sam Butera and The Witnesses:

Louis Prima - I`m In The Mood For Love 1957



I know that none of the above had anything at all to do with politics or product reviews but . . .

Well, hold on a second –-

Go purchase ‘The Call Of The Wildest’ by Louis Prima. 
It’s real good! . . . 


There you have it: a product review.

Well then there now, it looks as if I’ve made this blog bit fit.

~ Stephen T. McCarthy

YE OLDE COMMENT POLICY: All comments, pro and con, are welcome. However, ad hominem attacks and disrespectful epithets will not be tolerated (read: "posted"). After all, this isn’t Amazon.com, so I don’t have to put up with that kind of bovine excrement.
.

8 comments:

  1. The blog bit may not be captain crunch but it sure was a fine wine. Great blog bit brother.

    Br'er Marc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! Prima was one of my Pa's favorites also, and I heard it all the time when I was a kid. StMcC knows it, but all youse blog readers don't (and won't care either!):

    Every single time anyone in our family hears anyone say "Next time," one of us blurts out "NEXT time? There'll be no next time!" Prima and Keely and Butera were like no others, and when I need some serious cheering up, they are always at the top of my music list.

    I'd stupidly not thought to look on youtube for Prima. DOH!

    Thanks, Bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for listening & commenting, BR'ER & SIX.

    I also want to point out, lest anyone think Keely was just Louis' wife and not a first-class singer in her own right:

    Her version of 'I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues' from the 'The Wildest Show At Tahoe' album is the best rendition of that number I've ever heard. And she does a great 'Foggy Day' on that same album. (My Pa went around singing that song often.)

    Keely and Sam put on a very good, fun & swinging show at the Sands, when I saw them there with my Pa. Of course, it wasn't quite the same without "King Louie", but a very memorable performance nonetheless.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  4. People I've heard of, but not been familiar with. Great video clips, especially that last one. An exceptionally nice tribute to your 'Pa'. Who needs a better fit than that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAE ~
    Thanks! Glad ya liked it.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a young body and an old soul, and I enjoy a lot of old music, but I've never heard of Louis Prima until today. I'm glad I do now. What fun music and what personality.

    I think your product review worked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Say, are you BRIAN or BRANDON? Which "Killer B" am I addressing?

    Yeah, actually, you already knew Louis Prima, only you just didn't know it. Prima provided the voice for the animated character "King Louie" in Disney's movie 'The Jungle Book'.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been a Louis Prima and Keely Smith fan since I was a kid. My parents had some of their albums. I guess "Old Black Magic" is my hands down favorite.


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out
    Try my networking experiment

    ReplyDelete

--> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <--
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.